Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Star House! In order for the Star House to be successful, it’s crucial that we continue to increase community involvement. It’s important for youth accessing services at Star House to have caring adults to talk to so youth can learn how to build healthy and positive relationships that have clear boundaries and are consistent. Volunteers act as great positive role models and increase the quality and amount of services the Star House provides.
Volunteer groups larger than 25 people will need to be split up (schedule separate opportunities, dates and/or times).
Anyone under the age of 16 is not permitted to volunteer at the Star House.
Immediate Volunteer Opportunities – Warehouse & Community Clean-Up
- Can accommodate up to 25 volunteers at a time
- All volunteers must be age 16 or older
- ARE NOT required to go through the Star House Volunteer Orientation
- Volunteers can schedule groups or themselves individually for one of our prescheduled warehouse dates at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0c4badad28abf58-donation1.
- ADDITIONAL WAREHOUSE DATES ARE ONLY SCHEDULED FOR VOLUNTEER GROUPS of no less than 5 but no more than 25 people.
Required Training Volunteer Opportunities – Direct Engagement Volunteer Opportunities
- Can accommodate up to 6 volunteers at a time
- All volunteers must be age 18 or older
To become a volunteer at the Star House, you must first complete the Star House Volunteer Orientation process. The Star House Volunteer Orientation is made up of the following 5 Steps:
Complete the Online Volunteer Application
Read/review the Star House Star House Volunteer Orientation
Watch the video about trauma-informed care – This video is meant to better educate you on how you, as a volunteer, can best understand and engage with the youth served at the Star House. The Star House is NOT a TBRI® program nor has any affiliation with it.
Take the Volunteer Quiz
Schedule/Attend your “First Time Volunteer Opportunity”
Once you’ve completed all 5 steps of the Star House Volunteer Orientation, you will be notified by the Volunteer & Donations Coordinator on if and when you can begin direct engagement volunteering at the Star House.
If you have any questions or concerns about volunteering, please contact the Volunteer & Donations Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (614)826-5868 x103.
Do you love volunteering at the Star House? Do go above and beyond whenever you volunteer and wish there was more you could do to help? Maybe you are interested in hosting activities in the Art Room or Gym? Lead Volunteers are a special category of volunteers that have more flexibility because they are required to apply and go through a background check before they can be approved. Volunteers that get selected to move forward with a background check ARE NOT required to pay for the background check. Lead volunteers are qualified to assist in these additional capacities:
- Supervise volunteers and/or youth in the Art Room
- Supervise volunteers and/or youth in the Gym
- Supervise volunteers and/or youth in any closed area without staff supervision
- Host a table on behalf of the Star House at community events
- Act as a “Monitor Volunteer” and assist youth with getting items from the Needs Center or oversee bathroom key distribution.
If you are interested in becoming a Lead Volunteer, please complete the Star House Lead Volunteer Application to be considered.
After you submit the application you will be contacted by the Volunteer & Donations Coordinator with directions as to next steps.
We are always in need of volunteers in the following areas:
- Direct engagement / socializing
- Organizing donations in the warehouse / restocking youth space
- Desk/Administrative assistance w/ data entry and answering emails
- Provide a meal
- Help youth create meals using the food we have in our facility
- Lead Volunteers
- Art room & Gym events / classes
- Assist with supervising volunteer groups
- Hosting tables at community events on behalf of the Star House
- Wisdom Wednesday Presenters – Local community members and businesses are welcome to provide training in their area of expertise to increase the youths’ skill sets.
Volunteers are crucial to the day-to-day operations at the OSU Star House. Before taking on a volunteer commitment, it’s always best to do some “homework” beforehand and learn what questions to ask, what your availability is, etc. Feel free to check out this general online guide with tips and resources for volunteers to help see if Star House is the best fit for you.